Mexican Breakfast Lasagna – Gluten Free Breakfast
So many recipes for Gluten Free food are not substantial enough to eat in the morning and then do a job that requires physical labor. Here’s the working person’s gluten free breakfast.
3 uncured chorizo sausages, casings removed
½ medium onion, chopped
2 peppers red, yellow or green, chopped
1 – 540ml can black beans (drained & rinsed)
1 T. Butter
4 eggs (beaten)
¼ c. Milk (or water)
Dash Cayenne Pepper (or to taste)
½ c. Salsa
1 c. V-8 Vegetable Cocktail
12 Corn Tortillas
2 c. Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
1. Pre-heat oven to 350 F and grease a 9 x 13 inch pan.
2. Over medium high heat, scramble fry chorizo in frying pan until cooked through and crumbled. Add onion and sauté until transparent. Add peppers to chorizo mixture and sauté for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside
3. Add milk (or water) and Cayenne to eggs. Melt butter over medium low heat in a medium non-stick frying pan. When butter is melted scramble eggs until just cooked. Remove from heat and set aside.
4. Warm black beans in microwave for 3 minutes or until soft. Mash with a potato masher.
5. Layer 6 corn tortillas in the bottom of 9×13 pan. It is okay if the tortillas overlap a little. Spread black beans over tortillas. The beans will be difficult to spread, just do the best you can. Sprinkle scrambled eggs over beans. Layer remaining 6 tortillas over the eggs. Spread chorizo mixture over the tortillas.
6. Combine salsa and V-8 and pour evenly over chorizo mixture. Top with shredded cheese.
7. Bake for 45 minutes in preheated oven. Let cool for 5 – 10 minutes prior to cutting and serving.
8. Serve with salsa.
Recipe by Liesl H